Sonika Bhatnagar completed her Ph.D. and Post-Doctoral work from Department of Biophysics, AIIMS. She has been involved with the BSE Department since its inception. She has worked towards developing the curricula, laboratories and other infrastructure in the Department. She has 17 years of post Ph.D. research experience and 15 years of teaching experience. She carried out an international consultancy assignment and was awarded the Innocentive solver award for shortlisting of five top therapeutic targets for obesity in 2003. Her work lies in the area of systems biology and structural study of protein -protein interactions as novel drug targets. Collaborative projects have also been established for molecular Biology, drug design & discovery, machine learning, and genomics & proteomics towards cardiovascular disease drug design and study of stress response in bacteria.
· Google scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=TrytHiwAAAAJ&hl=en
· Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sonika_Bhatnagar
· Cardiovascular Disease and Bacterial Stress response;
· Molecular mechanisms of disease and Drug target selection;
· Drug design and Repurposing.
1. Singh N, Bhatia V, Singh S, Bhatnagar S. MorCVD: A Unified Database for Host-Pathogen Protein-Protein Interactions of Cardiovascular Diseases Related to Microbes. Sci Rep. 2019 Mar 11;9(1):4039. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-40704-5.
2. Kandari D, Gopalani M, Gupta M, Joshi H, Bhatnagar S, Bhatnagar R. Identification, Functional Characterization, and Regulon Prediction of the Zinc Uptake Regulator (zur) of Bacillus anthracis - An Insight Into the Zinc Homeostasis of the Pathogen. Front Microbiol. 2019 Jan 11;9:3314.
3. Rai S, Mohanty P, Bhatnagar S. Modeling, dynamics and phosphoinositide binding of the pleckstrin homology domain of two novel PLCs: η1 and η2. J Mol Graph Model. 2018 Oct; 85:130-144.
4. Mohanty P, Bhatnagar S. Structure of focal adhesion kinase in healthy heart versus pathological cardiac hypertrophy: A modeling and simulation study. J Mol Graph Model. 2018 Mar; 80:15-24.
5. Joon S, Gopalani M, Rahi A, Kulshreshtha P, Gogoi H, Bhatnagar S, et al. Biochemical characterization of the GTP-sensing protein, CodY of Bacillus anthracis. Pathog Dis. 2017 Jun 01;75(4).
6. Rai S, Bhatnagar S. Novel Lipidomic Biomarkers in Hyperlipidemia and Cardiovascular Diseases: An Integrative Biology Analysis. OMICS. 2017 Mar;21(3):132-42.
7. Dhiman A, Rahi A, Gopalani M, Bajpai S, Bhatnagar S, Bhatnagar R. Role of the recognition helix of response regulator WalR from Bacillus anthracis in DNA binding and specificity. Int J Biol Macromol. 2017 Mar;96:257-64.
8. Gupta A, Agarwal R, Singh A, Bhatnagar S. Calcium-induced conformational changes of Thrombospondin-1 signature domain: implications for vascular disease. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2017 Jun; 37(3):239-51.
9. Gupta A, Mohanty P, Bhatnagar S (2016). Protein Structure Prediction using Homology Modeling: Methods and Tools in Methods and Algorithms for Molecular Docking-Based Drug Design and Discovery (p. 339-359). Editors: S Dastmalchi, MH Mivehroud. IGI Global, (Hershey) USA.
10. Rai S, Bhatnagar S (2016). Computational Methods for Prediction of Protein-Protein Interactions: PPI Prediction Methods in Handbook of Research on Computational Intelligence Applications in Bioinformatics (p. 184-214). Editors: S Dash and B Subudhi. IGI Global, (Hershey) USA.
11. Nagar SD, Aggarwal B, Joon S, Bhatnagar R, Bhatnagar S. A Network Biology Approach to Decipher Stress Response in Bacteria Using Escherichia coli As a Model. OMICS. 2016 May;20(5):310-24.
12. Mohanty P, Bhatnagar S. Structural basis of focal adhesion targeting domain-mediated signaling in cardiac hypertrophy. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2016 Apr 8:1-13.
13. Rai S, Bhatnagar S. Hyperlipidemia, Disease Associations, and Top 10 Potential Drug Targets: A Network View. OMICS. 2016 Mar;20(3):152-68.
14. Gupta A, Bhatnagar S. Vasoregression: A Shared Vascular Pathology Underlying Macrovascular And Microvascular Pathologies? OMICS. 2015 Dec;19(12):733-53.
15. Mohanty P, Gupta A, and Bhatnagar S. Modeling of Plasmodium falciparum Telomerase Reverse Transcriptase Ternary Complex: Repurposing of Nucleoside Analog Inhibitors. Assay Drug Dev Technol. 2015 Dec;13(10):628-37.
16. Gupta A, Mohanty P, Bhatnagar S. Integrative analysis of ocular complications in atherosclerosis unveils pathway convergence and crosstalk. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2015 Apr;35(2):149-64.
17. Verma S, Kumar S, Gupta VP, Gourinath S, Bhatnagar S, Bhatnagar R. Structural basis of Bacillus anthracis MoxXT disruption and the modulation of MoxT ribonuclease activity by rationally designed peptides. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2015;33(3):606-24.
18. Singh A, Thakur PK, Meena M, Dhiraj K, Bhatnagar S, Dubey AK, et al. Interaction between Basic 7S Globulin and Leginsulin in Soybean [Glycine max]: A Structural Insight Letters in Drug Design & Discovery. 2014;11(2): 231-239.
19. Dhiman A, Bhatnagar S, Kulshreshtha P, Bhatnagar R. Functional characterization of WalRK: A two-component signal transduction system from Bacillus anthracis. FEBS Open Bio. 2014;4:65-76.
20. Bharadwaj N, Goel P, Arora CS, Bhatnagar S, Parthasarathy H (2014). Denoising, Clustering, Classification and Representation of Microarray Data for Disease Diagnostics in Research Developments in Computer Vision and Image Processing: Methodologies and Applications (p. 149-174). Editor: R. Srivastava, SK Singh, KK Shukla. IGI Global, (Hershey) USA.
21. Chopra N, Saumitra, Pathak A, Bhatnagar R, Bhatnagar S. Linkage, mobility, and selfishness in the MazF family of bacterial toxins: a snapshot of bacterial evolution. Genome Biol Evol. 2013;5(12):2268-84.
22. Bedi SK, Prasad A, Mathur K, Bhatnagar S. Positive selection and evolution of dengue type-3 virus in the Indian subcontinent. J Vector Borne Dis. 2013 Sep;50(3):188-96.
23. Chopra N, Agarwal S, Verma S, Bhatnagar S, Bhatnagar R. Modeling of the structure and interactions of the B. anthracis antitoxin, MoxX: deletion mutant studies highlight its modular structure and repressor function. J Comput Aided Mol Des. 2011 Mar;25(3):275-91.
24. Bhatnagar S, Mishra S, Pathak R. Mining human genome for novel purinergic P2Y receptors: a sequence analysis and molecular modeling approach. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2011 Feb;31(1):75-84.
25. Agarwal S, Mishra NK, Bhatnagar S, Bhatnagar R. PemK toxin of Bacillus anthracis is a ribonuclease: an insight into its active site, structure, and function. J Biol Chem. 2010 Mar 5;285(10):7254-70.
26. Pathak R, Bhatnagar S, Dubey AK. Mechanisms underlying the opposing effects of P2Y receptors on the cell cycle. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2008;28(6):505-29.
27. Dubey AK, Jayadev MSK, Bhatnagar S (2007). Emerging infectious diseases in humans in Microbes for Human life. Editor: AK Verma. I K International Publishing House, (New Delhi) India.
28. Dubey AK, Bhatnagar S (2006). Bioinformatics in Niscair e-book on Recombinant DNA Technology and Biotechnology. Editors: AK Dubey, P. Gunasekaran, VC Kalia. National Science Digital Library, (New Delhi) India.
29. Bhatnagar S, Srivastava D, Jayadev MS, Dubey AK. Molecular variants and derivatives of insulin for improved glycemic control in diabetes. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2006 Jul;91(3):199-228.
30. Bhatnagar S, Jayadev MSK, Dubey AK (2004). Genomics in Pathogenicity and Diversity of Flaviviruses in Microbial Diversity in Current Prespectives and Potential Applications (p 1075-1096). Editors: T. Satyanaranyan and BN Johri. I K International Publishing House, (New Delhi) India.
31. Rao GS, Bhatnagar S. In silico structure-based design of a potent, mutation resilient, small peptide inhibitor of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2003 Oct;21(2):171-8.
32. Rao GS, Bhatnagar S, and Ahuja V. Structure-based design of a novel peptide inhibitor of HIV-1 integrase: a computer modeling approach. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2002;20(1): p. 31-8.
33. Bhatnagar S, Rao GS. Molecular modeling of the complex of endothelin-1 (ET-1) with the endothelin type A (ET(A)) receptor and the rational design of a peptide antagonist. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2000 Jun;17(6):957-64.
34. Bhatnagar S, Rao GS, Singh TP. The role of dehydro-alanine in the design of peptides. Biosystems. 1995;34(1-3): p. 143-8.