Ashok Dubey joined Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology during May 2001 as Professor of Biotechnology. He initiated and led the development and implementation of a four-year Degree Programme in B. E. Biotechnology, under the Faculty of Technology, Delhi University. He was instrumental in establishing the Division of Biotechnology at NSIT and has since been its founding Head of Department.
Professor Dubey was appointed as an Assistant Professor at Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi during 1991 while he was a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Nobel Laureate, Dr. R. J. Roberts at Cold Spring Harbor, New York, USA. Subsequently, he moved from IIT-Delhi to the Biomolecular Research Institute at the Division of Health Sciences of CSIRO in Melbourne, Australia in January, 1998 and continued there until his move to NSIT.
Professor Dubey has worked extensively on restriction enzymes and 5-methyl Cytosine DNA methyltransferase, MspI while working at Cold Spring Harbor and IIT Delhi, which led to several high impact publications. He further studied modulation of foreign gene expression in recombinant Escherichia coli and developed methods of purification and characterization of recombinant proteins including envelope glycoprotein E2 of the Hepatitis C Virus. His main research interests at NSIT include the discovery of anti-microbial agents, novel therapeutics for inflammation, diabetes and cancer; along with further exploring the diversity of actinobacteria.
1. Tiwary, M. and Dubey, A. K. (2015) Pseudomonas aeruginosa ADMT1 16S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence. Nucleotide – NCBI, GenBank: KP036461.
2. Amandeep Singh, Megha Meena, Dhiraj Kumar, Ashok K. Dubey & Md. Imtaiyaz Hassan (2015) Structural and Functional Analysis of Various Globulin Proteins from Soy Seed, Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 55(11), 1491-1502, DOI: 10.1080/10408398.2012.700340
3. Singla, R., Dubey, H. and Dubey, A. K. (2014) Therapeutic spectrum of bacterial metabolites. Indo Global J Pharm. Sci., 4(2), 52-64.
4. Singh, A., Thakur, P. K., Meena, M., Kumar, D., Bhatnagar, S., Dubey, A. K. and Hassan, Md. I. (2014) Interaction between basic 7S globulin and leginsulin in soybean [Glycine max]: Astructural insight. Lett. Drug Des. Discov. 11(2), 231-239
5. Srivastava, S. R., Kumar, R., Tiwary, M. and Dubey, A. K. (2013) Bacillus species AKD1 16S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence. Nucleotide – NCBI, GenBank: KC212686.1
6. Jaydev, M. S. K., Ralhan, R., Sen, S., Narayanasamy, K. and Dubey, A. K. (2012) Molecular mechanism of antiproliferative action of Phyllanthus emblica in HeLa cells. In: Kaushik, B. D. (ed.) Biotechnological interventions for the benefits of mankind, AEC Agra, India, pp 6-20.
7. Dubey, A. K., Bharadwaj, P. R., Varghese, J. N. and Macreadie, I. G. (2009) Alzheimer’s amyloid beta rescues yeast from hydroxide toxicity J. Alzheimers Dis. 18, 31-33.
8. Bharadwaj, P., Dubey, A. K., Masters, C., Martins, R., and Macreadie, I. G. (2009) Aβ
aggregation and its implication in Alzhiemer’s disease. J. Cell. Mol. Medicine 13, 412-421.
9. Pathak, R., Bhatnagar, S. and Dubey, A. K. (2008). Mechanisms underlying the opposing effects of P2Y receptors on the cell cycle. J. Recept. Signal Transduct. 28, 505-529.
10. Bhatnagar, S. and Dubey, A. K. (2008) Bioinformatics. In: Microbiology e-Book, National Digital Science Library, http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/633.
11. Jaydev, M. S. K., Bhatnagar, S. and Dubey, A. K. (2007) Emerging infectious diseases in humans. In: Chauhan, A. K., Kharakwal, H. and Varma, A. K. (eds) Microbes for Human Life, IK International Publishers, New Delhi, India, pp 149-193.
12. Bhatnagar, S., Srivastava, D., Jayadev, M. S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (2006) Molecular variants and derivatives of insulin for improved glycemic control in diabetes. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol. 91, 199 – 228.
13. Jaydev, M. S. K., Bhatnagar, S. and Dubey, A. K. (2005) Genomics in diversity and pathogenicity of Flaviviruses. In: Satyanarayana, T. and Johri, B. N. (eds) Microbial Diversity: Current perspectives and potential applications, IK International Publishers, New Delhi, India, pp 1075-1096.
14. Jayadev, M. S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (2005) Molecular mechanisms in the symbiotic association between plant and arbuscular mycorrhizae. In: Podila, G. K. and Varma, A. (eds) Basic research and applications of mycorrhizae, IK International Publishers, New Delhi, India, pp 57-65.
15. Dubey, A. K. (2002) Resolution of a complex ionic mixture of an apparently homogenous protein preparation by preparative electrophoresis. Ind.J. Biochem. Biophys. 39, 279-283.
16. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (2002) The N-terminus of m5C – DNA methyltransferase MspI is involved in its topoisomerase activity. Eur. J. Biochem. 269, 2491-2497.
17. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (2002) Transient DNA binding by a proteolytic peptide from m5C-DNA methyltransferase MspI. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Biophys. 6, 357-364.
18. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (2000) Amino acid residues involved in catalysis and DNA binding by cytosine DNA methyltransferase MspI. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Biophys. 4, 109-120.
19. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (1999) Kinetic mechanism of cytosine DNA methyltransferase MspI. J. Biol. Chem. 274, 14743-14749.
20. Dubey, A. K. and Bhattacharya, S. K. (1997) Angle and locus of the bend induced by MspI DNA methyltransferase in sequence specific complex with DNA. Nucl. Acids Res. 25, 2025-2029.
21. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (1997) High level expression of heterologous gene in Escherichia coli in response to carbon-nitrogen source and C/N ratio in batch bioreactor. Biotechnol. Prog. 13, 151-155.
22. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (1997) Effects of dissolved oxygen and oxygen mass transfer on over-expression of target gene in E. coli. Enz. Microbial Technol. 20, 355-360.
23. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (1996). Expression parameters for target gene cloned in Escherichia coli in response to phosphate supply. Biotechnol. Lett., 18, 1145-1148.
24. Dubey, A. K.; Mukhopadhyay, S. N. and Thukral, R. (1995). Recovery, purification and variables of activity of native BamHI. Indian Chem. Engr., 37, 169-175.
25. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (1995). Metabolic burden as reflected by maintenance coefficient of recombinant Escherichia coli overexpressing target gene. Biotechnol. Lett., 17, 1155-1160.
26. Bhattacharya, S. K. and Dubey, A. K. (1994). Preparation and properties of restriction endonuclease SphI coupled to nylon fabric filter. Biotechnol. Appl. Biochem., 20, 141-146.
27. Dubey, A. K.; Mollet, B. and Roberts, R. J. (1992). Purification and characterization of the MspI methyltransferase cloned and overexpressed in E. coli. Nucl. Acids Res., 20, 1579-1585.
28. Dubey, A. K. and Roberts, R. J. (1992). Sequence specific DNA binding by MspI DNA methyltransferase. Nucl. Acids Res., 20, 3167-3173.
29. Dubey, A. K.; Mukhopadhyay, S. N.; Bisaria, V. S. and Ghose, T. K. (1991). Upstream bio- processing for BamHI production: effect of cell cultivation variables. Ind. Chem. Engr., 33, 16 - 21.
30. Dubey, A. K.; Bisaria, V. S.; Mukhopadhyay, S. N. and Ghose, T. K. (1989). Stabilization of restriction endonuclease BamHI by cross-linking reagents. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 33, 1311-1316.
31. Dubey, A. K. and Johri, B. N. (1987). Xylanolytic activity of thermophilic Sporotrichum sp. and Myceliophthora thermophilum. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Plant Sciences), 97, 247-255.
32. Dubey, A. K.; Mukhopadhyay, S. N.; Bisaria, V. S. and Ghose, T. K. (1987). Sources, production and purification of restriction enzymes. Process Biochem., 22, 25-34.